EMERGENCY MEDICINE TRAINING

This is a blog about the journey to become an emergency medicine physician.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

First day of Resident Training

Today and tomorrow taking an Advanced Cardiac Life Support course. It was a fitting seguay for Emergency Medicine residents.

I arrived early thinking that I would go to the bookstore and purchase the book. I found out first from the building security guard then from verifying the information with three medical students on the street that Sinai no longer has a bookstore and hasn't had one for about a year. They order their books online.

So I accepted that I wouldn't have the book and strolled over to the Starbucks and ordered my usual, very plain, grande regular. After a little bit, I was approached by someone at a nearby table who asked if I was EM. I said yes and she said she remembered me from an interview. So I had met one of my fellow EM interns and conversation flowed well.

We headed over to the lecture hall, heard some dynamic speakers then ate lunch and afterwards broke up into small groups. Our residency got our own small group and the main course instructor. It was a great chance to get to meet the people in my class. I think I spent as much time trying to remember everyone's name as I did concentrating on what was being taught in the small groups.

My big errors of the day were theoretically breaking the manikin's teeth, whom I was attempting to intubate and proposing an epinephrine drip after converting a dysrhythmia with Amiodarone.

I like my fellow interns and believe it will be a good four years. We all seem to come from different backgrounds so it will be cool to see how we mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home