EMERGENCY MEDICINE TRAINING

This is a blog about the journey to become an emergency medicine physician.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My first real shift

Actually my first call, my first shift after the orientation month and my first off service. 730A on Monday until 1230P on Tuesday with a 3 hour nap during the night.

SICU is crazy busy. We rounded until around 12P on my on call day and that was with 2 other efficient residents. Then I spent until dinner time doing procedures and ordering things for the nurses. I did my first central line, a right femoral. I also did a few arterial lines. The procedures were good and I had a fellow teaching me who knew his shit well.

Speaking of the fellow, he was the only thing between me and falling off the edge many times that night as new orders needed to be inputted and management decisions on extremely complicated patients needed to be made.

The computer is your worst enemy. Multiple I needed to input a STAT order but could not figure out how to do it and the nurses had no clue and the fellow was gone.

It was a long call and the worst parts were by far the times I was alone and nurses started giving me information or asking for new orders. Probably the worst was the new admit at 1A that I basically had to do myself because the fellow wouldn't wake up, and who was complicated by the fact that he wasn't in our computers and he needed a propofol drip.

It's all about survival and I am still kickin. One more day towards the goal of never having to do off service again

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home