EMERGENCY MEDICINE TRAINING

This is a blog about the journey to become an emergency medicine physician.

Friday, December 01, 2006

EMS

EMS is over... thankfully. It had its moments - but that is just it. These were moments. Most of the time it was boring and felt like a real waste of time. I think this is best left to the realm of electives.

We have a lot of differences in how we do things. For instance, they are dunkin donuts fanatics, you know the give me a little coffee with my sugar. I suggested starbucks but this did not go over as an idea.

The entire time was filled with testosterone and lots of story telling. Considering how little work we actually had, I wonder whether I came in too late and missed the golden age or if these are stories collected over 10 years.

In the place I worked in New Jersey, there was an aura of intimidation. These were tough guys practicing the delicate art of medicine, always afraid they were going to get in trouble with the upper level guys. There was one guy who constantly started each justification of his actions with "I only have a few weeks left so..."

There was a shit rolls down hill attitude. The Advanced Life Support guys always let Basic Life Support arrive early to access the situation and hopefully to cancel the ALS call.

The administrators were annoying at best. I looked around the room during the inservice on the autopulse and determined these were not going to be my future coworkers.

One night shift with the ALS, I had a Jay and Silent Bob experience. 4 ALS guys and myself stood outside a gas station that serviced dunkin donuts coffee, eating potato chips, talking shit. 2 of them showed me nudie pics on their cell phones and wished me a happy thanksgiving. We were soon joined by an undercover cop who told us a story.

Some guy said to him, "I pay your salary!" so the response was the uc cop thinking that person could lick his nuts. What he did however was ingenious. He threw change at the "yuppie" and said "here's your refund!" Talk about man shit.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home