EMERGENCY MEDICINE TRAINING

This is a blog about the journey to become an emergency medicine physician.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My first uncontrolled intubation

Our new admit came in with respiratory distress taxing out her accessory respiratory muscles. I took one look at her and decided that she had impending respiratory failure so I grabbed the intubation box and called my nurses together and asked for the attending to be in the room.

She was full of more mucous than I had ever seen in my life. I could not suction enough out. I just kept taking turns between ventilating and suctioning. The venting also did not go well because I couldn't get a good seal because she didn't have teeth and every ventilation was accompanied by a gurgling of air escape.

I tried versed and my attending did not want to use a paralytic. Everytime I tried to open her mouth I was greeted with locked jaws and lots of mucous.

Everytime she began to desat a little I bagged her back up, air leak and all.

I finally tried propofol and she took a lot before I was finally able to open her mouth. What greeted me was lots of mucous to suction.

Her head had torticollis and she was in a C-collar so I used in line traction. Even with the less than optimal angles I found her epiglottis relatively easily with a mac 3, lifted and found tons of mucous in front of the vocal cords. I called for suction and cleared a path.

Then the cords - finally. The tube passed easily.

Her breath sounds weren't equal bilaterally and she was satting around 80% so I pulled out the ET tube a little and then her sats went up to 100% and the breath sounds became equal.

It was a tough first non-OR/anesthesia intubation I had done and it was tough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home